Sunday, August 5, 2012

Major Decision

So here's the news (finally):

I had my x-ray and appointment on Thursday and, while the results weren't shocking to me, the outcome of the day was VERY different than any other time I have ever been to my doctor.  I found out that my top cervical curve stayed at 33, my thoracic went from  65 to 71, and my lumbar went from 51 to 49...all since about 18 months ago.  While that is not even bad compared to my progression while I was still growing, it just reinforced the fact that these curves are just not going anywhere but out the side of my body!  The weirdest thing about the day though, was that for the first time I wasn't scared of the talk of surgery.  I have come to terms with my scoliosis, especially this past year, and not only seeing but FEELING that it is steadily progressing was enough to make me realize that the time has come for me to have the surgery.  Wow, it's weird to even see myself writing that after all this time!  For all of you who have battled with this or are currently deciding what to do, you will understand that this decision comes once you feel that it is finally the right time.  I am a huge believer in signs and not gonna lie, most of them are pointing towards the surgery for the first time ever...but maybe I'm just silly like that!  Seriously though, I did see a beautiful girl struttin down the street in workout pants and a sports bra with a perfect little scar down the center of her back RIGHT after I left the doctor...just sayin :P 
So, tomorrow is the day that I call and schedule the surgery date!  I've been through this once before, only last time I backed out because it didn't feel right.  This time though, I am anxiously awaiting the phone call just so I can know when it's happening.  I'm ready to get this taken care of and move on with my life.  My doctor told me that the post-op appointments are a few times during the first year, then yearly for three years, at which point I will only need to go back if there was a problem--I practically jumped for joy at the thought, I can't even imagine what that day will feel like! :D

So that's the update for now.  I will absolutely be posting all about the surgery as I go through it, as well as telling you all a little more about the other things I've tried incase there are any of you pre-surgery sco's just like me trying other options.  Just because I'm having the surgery now doesn't mean I don't believe in those other ways or that they might not work for someone else so I'll do my best to let you know ALL about them!


"Our greatest strength as a human race is our ability to acknowledge our differences, our greatest weakness is our failure to embrace them."
~Judith Henderson

1 comment:

  1. I have Proven Beyond A Doubt, Idiopathic Scoliosis & ALL Types of Scoliosis. Are Most Positively Caused By An INJURY!!! After An Entire Year of letting My Child be treated by the Medical Community, that saw Such Spectacularly Horrible Results. I was able to Completely STOP the Progression, And REDUCE the Angle. All of my findings are at: SCOLIOSISPREVENTION.ORG Please Contact Me, To Help Me Confirm My Findings at: ScoliosisPrevention-NOW@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete