Monday, July 23, 2012

Introduction

Hey all you scolio's!

Let me just start off by saying, while I am fairly new to this whole blogging thing, I am DEFFINITELY not new to the wonderful life of living with scoliosis.  I've been through hell and back, most of which you will hear allllll about in my upcoming posts.  What I have found through these past 8 years that I've had scoliosis, is that there really are very few people who are real about what our lifestyle is like.  Whether its a life filled with conventional treatments, surgery, homeopathic remedies, yoga, whatever, (and yes, I have tried almost all of those), scoliosis is most of the time talked about as a simple condition with a simple fix: surgery. 

I am one of those very few people, however, who has denied surgery for the past 5 years.  No, sadly that is not because my back is okay or better, but instead because I refused to have such a life-altering surgery if I had not tried all of my options.  So this is my story, or stories rather, of my experiences with my scoliosis.

Now, I know that living with this is different for everyone, that some of you will go and have the surgery or have already had it, and I am in no way against that.  I simply believe that this is something that is often forgotten by doctors, parents, or whoever it is that helping you through this.  If they don't have it, haven't lived with it and all of its consequences, they will never be able to fully understand.  *Enter me!*  I guess that's why I wanted to start this.  I have tried many different approaches to both fixing and living with my scoliosis, and I just think that sometimes, all you need to hear is someone elses experience, even if they are different from yours.  I know that I certainly could have used the guidance over these years, would have loved to read peoples stories, what they had tried, and how their life was going after it all. 

So hopefully I can do just that--share all my stories and make someone out there realize that this isn't something to hide from.  And I might just make you feel a little more sane along the way...trust me on that one! lol

So here's to all you uniquely curvy girls out there, conquering every little thing life throws at you, and still managing to stand tall! (and I promise I'll try to come up with some better curvy jokes for you ;P )

No comments:

Post a Comment